Is there anything more relaxing and welcoming than a set of gorgeous candles burning amidst a dinner table setting? Or, a room filled with the indulgent scent of green tea and bamboo as candles burn soothingly on a coffee table, enriching the welcoming and warming feeling of your home.
Gifting candles – Choosing the right candle type, scent & wax
Types of candles
- Add romance to your dinner table with tapered candles, stylishly displayed in Vera Wang Love Knots Taper Candle Holders.
- Create a soothing ambience around your home with lit tealights (scented or unscented, your choice!), perfectly held in Vera Wang Love Knots Tealight Holders.
- Votive candles make a wonderfully lasting gift. Discover our Wonderlust scented votive candles which make a stylish home accessory long after the scented candle has burnt down.
Types of candles: To scent or not to scent?
Candles come in all shapes and styles, from simple designs that are unscented, to more intricate patterns and scented waxes, there’s a candle design out there to suit every home. When deciding on whether to gift your friend or loved one a scented or unscented candle, it’s good to start by thinking of where they would place the candle in their home, and what types of scent they prefer.
If you want to give the gift of relaxation and calm, then a White Folia Filled Candle will be the ideal gift. The scented candle wax produces soothing aromas of bamboo and green tea, washing any room with an oasis of calm and stress-busting scents.
Which candle scent is right for you?
There are so many scents to choose from when it comes to candle scents. Are you an exotic scent fan or a classic scent fan?
- Go wild with exotic scents like Sandalwood and Juniper, or White Peony and Orange Blossom from our Wonderlust candle range.
- Keep your candle scents classic with the fragrant smells of Festive Spices, Juniper and White Heather found in our Winter White Votives, an ideal gift for the Christmas season.
Different types of candle wax
The main types of candle wax found in candles these days is either paraffin based wax or soy based wax. Both types of candle wax have their advantages:
- Ideal for scented candles as it has a good scent throw.
- Even burn characteristics throughout the candle.
- Clean burning.
- Non-toxic, clean burn.
- A typically longer burn time than paraffin wax.
- An environmentally friendly and sustainable alternative
Candle wicks & burn time
When searching for candles for gifting, it’s good to keep in mind the type of candle wicks and how this affects the burn time of the candle. From wooden wicks, to zinc core wicks and paper core wicks, there are a variety of different candle wicks found in candles nowadays.
At Wedgwood, we use a variety of wick types. If looked after correctly, our candles will burn for hours and hours, ensuring lasting relaxation and enjoyment. A good way to look after your candles is to centre and trim the wick to ½ inch (1cm) before lighting, and to never burn for longer than 4 hours at a time.
The ideal gift for candle lovers
For the person who has it all
Purchasing a candle holder can be a good alternative to buying filled candles, as the recipient will be able to use it for many years to come and it’s more of a permanent gift.
For the Christmas fanatic
Our Winter White Lithophane is decorated with a beautiful silver Christmas tree and embellished with a silver scroll pattern around the base. The translucent fine bone china of the lithophane allows the warm flickering of a tealight to shine through, creating a gorgeously festive atmosphere in your loved one’s home.
For the nature lover
The White Folia Large Lithophane is a stunning piece to gift that will be treasured for years to come. Featuring a beautifully striking textured leaf pattern, the translucent curved shape of this lithophane literally glows from within, creating an aura of calm that will give your loved one a break from life’s hectic pace.